Monday, June 8, 2009

Landmark Cases and Places

So far, I've hit up two of Portland's famous landmarks.

First, Powell's books = the most incredible new/used bookstore ever!! I know I'll be back/broke. :) I'll get more shots later, but for now, all I have are the ones where I harassed a man to take some pics of his adorable baby:



But I bought awesome animal magazines and books. I know RightHand is gonna go crazy in there!

And last Thursday I went to see a documentary about the re-introduction of wolves into areas of the North/Northwest called Lords of Nature (read more here) at the Hollywood Theatre:

Isn't it gorgeous??

Here's the lawyer who introduced the film:
Could he look any more "PacNor"? Also, I want to live where lawyers dress like that. Yes please!

Then the director spoke

The documentary itself was great, focusing on the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone and how vital to the whole ecosystem they turned out to be (trees hadn't been growing because deer/elk/moose were eating them (and nothing was eating those animals), and no trees meant no shade, which was affecting the fish in the river and on and on...) as well as working with ranchers to humanely deter wolves from attacking livestock. The hot chai tea and popcorn I had were also great. :)

And there was a panel of experts after the film. Kind of felt like I was an outsider at a town hall meeting because the audience kept asking about local issues, but it was so interesting and really gave me a better feel for the area.


Another successful Portland adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment